Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Celebration of "Along Came Polly"


"Along Came Polly" is on my short list of movies that I will always watch when they play on TV. It took me a couple of viewings to warm up to this movie, but now I could probably recite the script on command.

The movie follows the classic formula of uptight guy (Ben Stiller) meets free-spirit girl (Jennifer Aniston) and learns to be less uptight-ish. It has Debra Messing and Aniston, two primetime TV darlings, in one movie! It has Hank Azaria in a speedo, speaking in a French accent, talking about the "appy eepo!" (Carlos Ponce owes any compliment he gets on his speedo-sporting role in "Couples Retreat" to Azaria.) It has Philip Seymour Hoffman, before he started acting like a douc- I mean serious ac-tor, introducing the audience to the term "sharting."

True, you know what's going to happen, but "Polly" throws in so many scenes that you could never anticipate. How about a pick-up basketball game involving the nastiest guy ever to play for the "Skins" team? Or how about Stiller sweating bullets while eating Middle Eastern food because of his IBS? The over-the-top physical comedy, unrealistic visual effects, and real heart unexpectedly combine to make a fun movie.

The absolute highlight of this movie for me is the following quote by Stiller in his climactic attempt to win back his girl Aniston, "Since we have been together I have felt more uncomfortable, out of place, embarrassed, and just physically sick than I have in my entire life. But I couldn't have gone through that, I couldn't have thrown up 19 times in 48 days if I wasn't in love with you." Aww, swoon.

"Polly" is true cinematic comfort food. A night involving this movie, mac 'n' cheese, and maybe even a Snuggie would be a true winner. This movie consistently makes me happy and, in a world where you can't count on a lot of things, that's more than enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment